Fort Wayne Shoulder Pain Treatment by Northeast Joint & Wellness
Shoulder pain treatment is one of the most common reasons why people contact their doctor and this pain can be incredibly debilitating. When someone is suffering from shoulder pain, he or she might feel like they have trouble with everyday tasks, let alone competitive sports. Shoulder pain can make it difficult to lift up a small object, comb hair, brush teeth, or open a car door. When this pain sets in, it is important for everyone to know some of the possible causes. Then, he or she should seek the help of a shoulder pain doctor to help with the recovery process.
Causes & Symptoms of Shoulder Pain
There are several reasons why someone might be feeling pain in their shoulder. Understanding some of the common causes can help with the recovery process. A few of these common shoulder pain causes include:
- Overuse Injuries: An overuse injury is one of the most common reasons why someone might be feeling pain in their shoulder. Some of the common culprits include sports such as swimming. The repetitive overhand motion combined with the stress of the swimming stroke can cause severe pain in the shoulder. This can make it hard for someone to practice or compete. It might also include redness and swelling in the shoulder itself.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries: The rotator cuff is the portion of the shoulder that protects the ball and socket joint itself. This is made up of several muscles that assist the arm in performing various tasks. The rotator cuff can be injured either in an acute event or as part of a chronic injury. Weightlifting is a common cause of rotator cuff injuries. When someone has a rotator cuff injury, he or she needs to seek the care of a doctor for shoulder pain treatment.
- Arthritis: Arthritis can also cause shoulder pain. When someone has arthritis, the cartilage that provides a cushion to the various parts of the shoulder is degraded. This causes bony tissues to rub against each other, leading to severe pain. This can also cause parts of the bone to degrade, leading to further pain and inflammation. Arthritis can be debilitating and can impair someone’s overall quality of life.
- Acute Injuries: Acute injuries can also cause severe shoulder pain. If someone falls on their arm or their back, they can lead to a fracture of the humerus or a dislocation of the shoulder itself. These are severe, painful injuries that always require the attention of a medical professional. These injuries can also lead to damage to other structures in or around the shoulder itself.
Rotator Cuff Injuries
Shoulder pain can be a serious issue, impacting someone’s ability to lift objects, extend their arms, and participate in various sports. While shoulder impingement is a common cause of pain and discomfort, there are other causes as well. One of the possible reasons why someone might have shoulder pain is due to a rotator cuff tear.
What is a Rotator Cuff Tear?
The rotator cuff is a collection of tendons and muscles that surrounding the shoulder joint itself, providing structural support. If someone has suffered a tear of the rotator cuff, one or more of these muscles have been torn. When the muscles are torn, they cannot provide proper structural support to the joint, impacting someone’s ability to use his or her shoulder effectively.
The Common Causes of a Rotator Cuff Tear
Rotator cuff injuries, including rotator cuff tendonitis and tears, typically develop as a result of repeated overhand motions. Some of the most common jobs that lead to rotator cuff tendonitis and tears include carpenters and painters. Rotator cuff injuries are also common in baseball, swimming, football, and tennis. Rotator cuff injuries are more common as people get older.
If someone has suffered a tear of the rotator cuff, there will typically be a dull ache in the shoulder. He or she will be able to grasp an object firmly; however, pain and weakness will develop if the object is lifted, particularly over the head. By comparing the strength of the two arms, the difference will be obvious. Shoulder pain is also common if someone tries to sleep on the injured side.
What are the Options for Rotator Cuff Treatment in Fort Wayne?
If someone has been diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear, he or she may be told that surgery is required. Fortunately, this isn’t always the case. Some of the treatment options include:
Regenerative Medicine: Regenerative medicine is a branch of medicine that focuses on regenerating the lost, damaged, native tissue. When an injury occurs, the body typically replaces this tissue with scar tissue. Scar tissue is not as effective as native tissue. One of the treatment options in regenerative medicine include:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy: Also called PRP therapy, this treatment option seizes on the body’s plasma, which is a critical part of the bloodstream. Plasma has powerful healing properties and by injecting this near the injury location, the healing process is expedited
The main benefit of regenerative medicine is that native tissues are developed in place of scar tissue. This leads to an improved functional capacity of the rotator cuff and shoulder joint. This leads to reduced pain, increased range of motion, and more complete recovery.
Shoulder Pain Treatment in Fort Wayne
Anyone who is looking for shoulder pain treatment should be aware of two treatment options that can help someone avoid surgery. A shoulder pain doctor with experience in regenerative medicine can provide platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy treatment.
Using these treatments, the body can replace damaged tissue with its own native, healthy tissue. Because native tissue is present, someone with shoulder pain is able to make a more complete recovery. This restores the flexibility, strength, and range of motion to the shoulder itself, allowing someone to return to the activities that he or she previously enjoyed.
Why Choose North East Joint and Wellness?
Since 2009, individuals and families in the Fort Wayne, IN area have been choosing us for all of their healthcare needs, including shoulder injuries. At North East Joint and Wellness, we believe that the patient should always come first. That is why we provide free patient consultations and same-day appointments. We strive to tailor all of our treatment plans to meet the individual needs of our patients. We want to not only treat the symptoms but also identify the root cause of the injury. Trust us to help you!
Visit North East Joint and Wellness Regenerative Medicine for Shoulder Pain Treatment in Fort Wayne
Anyone in need of a shoulder pain doctor should contact North East Joint and Wellness located conveniently in the Fort Wayne, IN area. With reliable shoulder pain treatment options that focus on the complete person, our medical team can help you and your family achieve a more complete recovery. Those who would like to make an appointment should visit our online portal today or feel free to call us using (260) 245-0460. Our team is always here to help you!